CHED Medical Scholarship and Return Service (CHED-MSRS) | The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) is inviting private higher education institutions (PHEIs) offering recognized Doctor of Medicine programs to be a partner in the implementation of the Medical Scholarship and Return Service (MSRS) program for Academic Year (AY) 2023-2024.
The program aims to provide financial assistance to aspiring doctors who are willing to serve in underprivileged communities after completing their studies.
This program is in accordance with the Higher Education Act of 1994 and the Doktor Para Sa Bayan Act. Interested parties must meet the following criteria to be a partner PHEI:
- Duly recognized by CHED to offer Medicine program.
- At least 65% overall institutional passing percentage for HEIs with graduates in the last 3 years, and 75% overall institutional passing percentage for HEIs with graduates for less than 3 years, in the Physician Licensure Examination of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
- With designated scholarship coordinator or focal person.
- With admission slots for indigenous people (IP) and students from Geographically Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas (GIDAS).
- With a capacity to conduct review classes for graduating scholars.
- Willing to provide a counterpart fund to be used for providing the balance of tuition and other school fees for scholars enrolled therein.
The CHED-MSRS program provides financial assistance to deserving medical students who are willing to serve in underserved and marginalized communities. The scholarship covers tuition fees, allowances, and other school-related expenses.
Below is the amount of Tuition and Other School Fees (TOSF) subsidy to be provided by the CHED to the qualified scholars. This shall be paid directly to the PHEI by the concerned CHED Regional Office (CHEDRO). The partner PHEI shall provide the counterpart fund for the balance in excess of these amounts.
Academic Year: 2023-2024
Amount of TOSF to be provided by CHED: 200,000/AY or 100,000/Semester
Scholars: New and On-going
If you meet the criteria, you can submit your application to the Office of the Executive Director (OED) through the Office of Student Development and Services (OSDS) on or before April 21, 2023. For further queries, you can contact Ms. Mary Jeane D. Ebora through [email protected], [email protected], or (02) 8988 0001.
The CHED-MSRS program aims to produce competent and socially-responsible medical doctors who will provide quality healthcare services in the country’s underserved areas. This program is a great opportunity for private HEIs to make a difference in the lives of Filipinos who lack access to quality healthcare.
Also read: CHED Scholarship Program (CSP)
CHED Medical Scholarship and Return Service (CHED-MSRS) Tips
Here are some tips on how to maximize your chances of becoming a partner PHEI in the Medical Scholarship and Return Service (CHED-MSRS) program:
- Ensure that your institution is duly recognized by CHED to offer a Medicine program. This is a basic requirement and without it, your application will not be considered.
- Aim to achieve a high overall institutional passing percentage in the Physician Licensure Examination of the PRC. This is an important factor in determining the quality of education provided by your institution.
- Designate a scholarship coordinator or focal person who will oversee the implementation of the program in your institution. This person should be knowledgeable about the program’s guidelines and be able to assist scholars in meeting their obligations.
- Allocate admission slots for indigenous people and students from Geographically Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas. This is in line with the program’s goal of providing healthcare services to underserved areas.
- Ensure that your institution has the capacity to conduct review classes for graduating scholars. This will help them prepare for the licensure examination and increase their chances of passing.
- Be willing to provide a counterpart fund to be used for providing the balance of tuition and other school fees for scholars enrolled in your institution. This shows your institution’s commitment to the program and its scholars.
Becoming a partner PHEI in the CHED-MSRS program is a great opportunity to make a positive impact on society. By producing competent and socially-responsible medical doctors, you can help address the country’s healthcare needs and contribute to nation-building.
In conclusion, the CHED-MSRS program is a great opportunity for private HEIs to make a difference in the lives of Filipinos who lack access to quality healthcare. If you meet the criteria, don’t hesitate to submit your application before the deadline.
By following the tips provided, you can maximize your chances of being accepted as a partner HEI for the CHED-MSRS program and provide opportunities for deserving students to pursue their dreams of becoming doctors while serving their communities.