2023 DOST-PCHRD- Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products – Are you an undergraduate student of Pharmacy, Chemistry, Nursing, or Health and Allied Sciences? Do you have a passion for natural products research? If so, then the 2023 DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products is perfect for you.
This grant is now accepting applications, so don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to enhance your research skills and contribute to the development of alternative drugs from the country’s natural resources.
The 2023 DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products is an excellent opportunity for students who want to pursue research in the field of natural products. The grant supports the Tuklas Lunas program of the DOST-PCHRD, which aims to develop safe, effective, and affordable alternative drugs from the country’s natural resources. This program will also help increase the number of researches and create a pool of researchers and experts specializing in this field.
The Department of Science and Technology- Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) is pleased to announce the call for applications for the 2022 DOST-PCHRD- Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products.
The said program aims to sustain a research culture in natural products to increase the number of research and later on build a pool of researchers/experts specializing in the field. It supports the Tuklas Lunas program (Drug Discovery and Development Program) of the DOST-PCHRD, which aims to develop safe, effective, and affordable alternative drugs from the country’s natural resources.
Thesis grants amounting to a maximum of fifty thousand pesos (PHP 50,000.00) will be given to two (2) qualified thesis proposals per region (subject to availability of funds). Upon completion of the thesis project and submission of the required deliverables, six (6) finalists will be chosen to present their completed research during the 16th Philippine National Health Research System (PNHRS) week celebration in August 2023, wherein the top three (3) winners will be selected and recognized.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit the following documents to their respective Regional Health Research and Development Consortium (RHRDC):
- Duly accomplished prescribed research proposal form with college seal (attached below);
- Endorsement letter from the institution signed by the head of the university and the college dean;
- Soft copy of the proposal (word and PDF format);
- Hard copy of the proposal using A4 paper (3 copies);
- Certificate of plant authentication;
- Appropriate clearances;
- Bureau of Animal Industry clearance for studies involving animal subjects
- Biosafety Clearance for studies involving genetic engineering and pathogenic organisms
- National Commission on Indigenous Peoples Clearance for studies involving Indigenous Peoples
- Gratuitous Permit from the Biodiversity Management Bureau for studies involving a collection of flora and fauna from DENR Protected Areas
- Ethical clearance for studies involving human subjects
- Curriculum vitae of the students and adviser.
The deadline for submission is on May 31, 2023. Interested students must submit their research proposals to the regional health research and development consortia (RHRDC) where their school is located.
The RHRDC will evaluate the submitted research proposals and determine the qualified applicants. The qualified applicants will then undergo a screening process to determine the final awardees.
NatProd Proposal Form: Download
1. Technical Merit
- Objectives are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound;
- The study design supports the objectives; and
- The study sample and methodology are appropriate.
2. Data Management
- The plan for data collection is clearly described;
- Quality control procedures for data collection are in place; and
- Statistical analysis is well described.
- The study addresses an important health problem; and
- The study contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge.
4. Proponent/Institutions Capacity
- The investigators are qualified and appropriately trained to carry out the study;
- The proposed study is appropriate to the experience level of the investigators; and
- The implementing/cooperating institution is capable of carrying out the proposed study.
Participating in the 2023 DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products has numerous benefits. For starters, it will allow you to conduct research in a field that you are passionate about.
You will also have the opportunity to work with experts in the field who can mentor and guide you throughout the research process. Additionally, this grant will help you develop your research skills, which can be beneficial for your future academic pursuits. Lastly, being awarded the grant can give you a sense of accomplishment and recognition for your hard work.
Tips for a Successful Application
To increase your chances of being awarded the grant, here are some tips that you can follow:
- Choose a topic that you are passionate about and aligns with the Tuklas Lunas program’s objectives.
- Conduct thorough research on your chosen topic to ensure that it is feasible and relevant.
- Write a well-crafted research proposal that clearly outlines your research objectives, methodology, and expected outcomes.
- Ensure that your research proposal follows the format and guidelines provided by the DOST-PCHRD.
- Seek guidance and feedback from your academic adviser or mentor to improve your research proposal.
In conclusion, the 2023 DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products is an excellent opportunity for students who want to pursue research in natural products. This program supports the development of alternative drugs from the country’s natural resources and aims to create a pool of researchers and experts in this field.
By applying for this grant, you will have the opportunity to enhance your research skills, work with experts in the field, and contribute to the development of the country’s natural products research.
Remember to follow the tips for a successful application to increase your chances of being awarded the grant. Don’t miss out on this opportunity and submit your research proposal now!
Source: Caraga Health Research and Development Consortium (CHRDC)