DOST Scholarship Under the Accelerated Science and Technology Human Resource Development Program (ASTHRDP) – The Department of Science and Technology—Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) announces the availability of scholarships for qualified males and females to pursue Master’s and Doctoral programs in priority S&T areas under the Accelerated Science and Technology Human Resource Development Program (ASTHRDP).
GOALS OF DOST ASTHRDP SCHOLARSHIP
1. To help improve the country’s global competitiveness and capability to innovate through Science and Technology (S&T).
2. To accelerate the production of high-level human resources needed for Research & Development (R&D) in S&T.
TYPE OF DOST ASTHRDP SCHOLARSHIP
- MS/PhD Program
- Straight PhD Program
PRIORITY FIELDS OF DOST ASTHRDP SCHOLARSHIP
- Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth, Atmospheric and Space Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Fisheries and Marine Science
- Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Information and Communication Technology
- Materials Science and Nanotechnology
- Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Pure and Applied Physics
The list of priority courses as below:
National Science Consortium (NSC) Member-Universities:
- Ateneo de Manila University
- Central Luzon State University
- De La Salle University
- Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology
- University of the Philippines Diliman
- University of the Philippines Los Baños
- University of the Philippines Manila
- University of the Philippines Visayas
- University of San Carlos
- University of Santo Tomas
- Visayas State University
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY OF DOST-ASTHRDP SCHOLARSHIP
An applicant must:
• be a Filipino citizen;
• not be more than 50 years old at the time of application;
• be in good health condition;
• pass the admission requirements for graduate studies at any of the NSC member-universities and;
• pass the interview and other screening procedures.
Who else may apply?
✓ PhD graduate in a priority S&T program (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue a second PhD degree.
✓ MS/PhD non-scholar graduate (not S&T related) who intends to pursue a second MS/PhD degree
Who may NO longer apply?
x PhD graduate (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue another MS degree program.
x MS graduate in a priority S&T program (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue a second MS degree.
|MS (Php)||PhD (Php)|
|Tuition & other school fees||Actual|
|Thesis/ Dissertation, outright||60,000||100,000|
114-year Straight-PhD Program: MS stipend rate during 1st year.
2One (1) actual economy class round trip fare per Academic Year; given only to those who study outside their home province; on reimbursement basis
3Must be applied by the scholar, subject to evaluation and approval. Grant approved is subject to liquidation.
The stipends in the remaining months of scholarship period shall be given to a scholar who completes his/her degree earlier than the prescribed period of his/her study.
TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIP
- The scholarship award shall be for full-time graduate studies to ensure on time completion of the MS/PhD degree in any of the DOST identified priority fields.
- The scholar must NOT be employed or practicing his/her profession while on scholarship. He/She must secure approval for official leave of absence, if employed.
- The awardee shall execute a Scholarship Agreement with the DOST-SEI and the Training Institution.
- The academic performance of the scholar shall be evaluated every school term based on established policies to determine his/her scholarship status.
- The scholar shall be required to render service obligation in the Philippines after he/she finishes the MS/PhD degree, i.e. one year service for every year of scholarship
- The scholar shall be required to refund the scholarship grant with interest for non-completion of his/her graduate program or failure to comply with the service obligation.
REQUIREMENTS OF DOST-ASTHRDP SCHOLARSHIP
- Accomplished ASTHRDP-NSC Information Sheet/ Application Form (Downloadable at www.sei.dost.gov.ph or thru the websites of the NSC member- universities)
- Birth Certificate (Photocopy);
- Certified True Copy of the Official Transcript of Records;
- Endorsement from:
|MS||From 2 former college professors|
|PhD||From 2 former professors in the Master’s Program|
- If employed, recommendation and permission from head of agency to take a leave of absence while on scholarship or proof of resignation or termination of contract;
- Career Plans (Form A);
- Research Plans (Form B);
- Medical Certificate stating that applicant is of good health condition and fit to study from a licensed physician with his/her PRC license number indicated (Form C);
- Valid NBI Clearance;
- Letter of Admission with Regular status from the Program Head of the accepting institution and copy of the Admission Evaluation Sheet and;
- Approved Program of Study.
Additional Requirements for Lateral Applicants
- Certification from university indicating the following:
- number of graduate units required in the program
- number of graduate units earned with corresponding grades
PRIORITY AREAS FOR THESIS/DISSERTATION
Scholars are encouraged to choose topics for their thesis/dissertation along the following areas:
1. Climate Change and Disaster Preparedness
2. Materials Science and Nanotechnology
3. Natural Products and Drug Development
Submit requirements to:
Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU)
Project Leader: Dr. Fabian M. Dayrit
Project Staff: Ms. Charisse Cenas
Office of the Dean, School of Science and
Engineering, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
8426-6001 loc. 5603
Central Luzon State University (CLSU)
Project Leader: Dr. Elaida R. Fiegalan
Project Staff: Mr. Julius B. Grospe
CLSU Distance, Open, and Transnational University
Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija
De La Salle University (DLSU)
Project Leader: Dr. Glenn V. Alea
Project Staff: Ms. Antonette Profeta
DLSU College of Science, Dean’s Office
Taft Avenue, Manila
524-4611 loc. 569/520
Mindanao State University—Iligan Institute of Technology (MSU-IIT)
Project Leader: Dr. Ephime B. Metillo
Project Staff: Ms. Marie Fe Del Rosario, Mr. Deejay D. Barbon
College of Science and Mathematics, Dean’s Office,
A. Bonifacio Ave., Tibanga, Iligan City
221-4068 or 221-4050 local 4145
University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman
Project Leader: Dr. Giovanni A. Tapang
Project Staff: Ms. Efriel G. Ragasa
OADMAPA Graduate Office
College of Science, Diliman, Quezon City
8981-8500 loc. 3804/3803
University of the Philippines (UP) Los Baños
Project Leader: Dr. Jomar F. Rabajante
Project Staff: Mr. Jonathan M. Cosico
UPLB Graduate School, Los Baños, Laguna
University of the Philippines (UP) Manila
Project Leader: Dr. Leslie Michelle M. Dalmacio
Project Staff: Ms. Pinky Q. Lamasan
The Health Sciences. National Graduate Office for the Health Sciences, Ermita, Manila City
University of the Philippines (UP) Visayas
Project Leader: Dr. Alice Joan G. Ferrer
Project Staff: Ms. Janice Naquita, Ms. Ma. Andrea E. Trivilegio
College of Arts and Sciences, Office of the Dean,
(033) 315-9631 315-9632 loc 136
University of San Carlos (USC)
Project Leader: Dr. Paul John L. Geraldino
Project Staff: Ms. Mary Ailenn T. Baculpo
School of Arts and Sciences, Assistant Dean’s Office
Nasipit, Talamban, Cebu
(032) 230-0100 loc. 155
University of Santo Tomas (UST)
Project Leader: Dr. Maribel G. Nonato
Project Staff: Ms. Anina Medel
Office of the Assistant to the Rector for UST General, España, Manila
8880-1611 loc 8878 or 8897
Visayas State University (VSU)
Project Leader: Dr. Victor B. Asio
Project Staff: Ms. Jessa M. Modina, Ms. Rica Rose B. Mahipos
College of Agriculture and Food Science, Dean’s Office, Baybay City, Leyte
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
|Semester Starting in||Deadline|
|First Semester AY 2022-2023||June 30, 2022|
|Second Semester AY 2022-2023||November 15, 2022|
CAREER INCENTIVE PROGRAM
The Career Incentive Program (CIP) is a short-term scheme to address the administration’s call to strengthen the country’s S&T capability and avert unemployment of graduates of DOST-SEI graduate scholarships and provide them opportunity to work in research activities where they can contribute their knowledge and expertise.
This is open to MS and PhD graduates of the ASTHRDP. Interested scholar-graduates may apply to the CIP and they shall be matched with a DOST agency/research institution where their specialization is needed in research projects/activities.
The CIP Researcher with an MS degree shall assume the position of a MS Graduate Fellow and one with a PhD degree, PhD Graduate Fellow with the corresponding compensation to be provided by the Science Education Institute, subject to availability of funds and government accounting and auditing rules.