Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) – The Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) is a scholarship program offered by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to qualified dependents of active OWWA members. The program aims to help OFW families alleviate financial burdens and provide their dependents with the opportunity to pursue higher education.
What is the EDSP Scholarship Program?
The EDSP Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to qualified dependents of active OWWA members who are enrolled or plan to enroll in a four-year or five-year baccalaureate course in any college or university in the Philippines. The scholarship grant covers the cost of tuition fees, miscellaneous fees, and books and supplies.
To be eligible for the EDSP Scholarship Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a dependent of an active OWWA member.
- Be a Filipino citizen.
- Be a high school graduate with a general average of at least 85%.
- Be enrolled in a four- or five-year baccalaureate course in a recognized college or university in the Philippines.
- Pass the EDSP Scholarship Qualifying Exam.
To apply for the EDSP Scholarship Program, applicants must submit the following requirements to the nearest OWWA regional office:
- Duly accomplished EDSP Scholarship Application Form
- Certified true copies of the following documents:
- Birth certificate
- Form 138 (Report Card)
- Diploma or certificate of graduation
- NSO-issued birth certificate of the OWWA member
- OWWA membership certificate of the OWWA member
- Two recent passport-sized ID photos
- Result of the EDSP Scholarship Qualifying Exam
Benefits of the EDSP Scholarship Program
EDSP scholars are entitled to the following benefits:
- Financial assistance of up to Php 60,000 per school year until the completion of their baccalaureate course.
- Book allowance of Php 1,500 per semester.
- Transportation allowance of Php 1,500 per semester.
- Free medical and dental checkup.
- Free life insurance.
- Job placement assistance upon graduation.
Tips for Applying and Getting Accepted
Here are some tips for applying and getting accepted into the EDSP Scholarship Program:
- Start preparing early. Review the eligibility requirements and application process carefully.
- Gather all the required documents. Make sure that all documents are complete and authentic.
- Study hard for the EDSP Scholarship Qualifying Exam. The exam covers a wide range of topics, so it is important to be well-prepared.
- Write a strong personal statement. Explain why you are applying for the EDSP Scholarship Program and what you hope to achieve.
- Submit your application on time. Late applications will not be accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is eligible for the EDSP Scholarship Program?
A: The EDSP Scholarship Program is open to qualified dependents of active OWWA members.
Q: What is the EDSP Scholarship Program entrance exam like?
A: The EDSP Scholarship Program entrance exam is a standardized test that covers a variety of subjects, including mathematics, science, English, and social studies.
Q: How many scholars are selected for the EDSP Scholarship Program each year?
A: The number of scholars selected for the EDSP Scholarship Program each year varies. However, the OWWA aims to select the most qualified and deserving applicants.
Q: What happens if I am selected for the EDSP Scholarship Program?
A: If you are selected for the EDSP Scholarship Program, you will be required to sign a scholarship agreement and submit a number of additional documents. You will also be required to attend a pre-departure orientation seminar.
Q: When is the deadline for submitting applications for the EDSP Scholarship Program?
A: The deadline for submitting applications for the EDSP Scholarship Program varies from year to year. Applicants are advised to check the OWWA website for the latest announcements.
Other Important Information
- The EDSP is a renewable scholarship, but scholars must maintain a general average of at least 85% to retain their scholarship.
- Scholars are also required to render community service for at least 30 hours per year.
- The EDSP is open to both incoming freshmen and continuing students.
- There is a limited number of slots available for the EDSP, so it is important to apply early.
Testimonial from an EDSP Scholar
“I am grateful for the opportunity to be an EDSP scholar. Without this scholarship, I would not have been able to pursue my college education. The EDSP has helped me achieve my dreams and become a better person. I am now a successful professional and I am able to help my family and community.” – Maria Santos, EDSP Scholar
The EDSP Scholarship Program is a great opportunity for qualified dependents of OWWA members to pursue higher education. The program provides scholars